Reportedly, as per the recent update coming from one of the renowned market research firms – UBI research, predicted that the substrate area of the global organic light emitting diode (OLED) line production capacity for IT products will probably be going to grow from 2.23 million square meters (m²) this year to 4.43 million square meters in 2025.
So it’s expected that by 2025, Samsung D’s OLED line for IT is going to grow and be one of the largest subtract areas for OLED line production capacity for major panel makers, after that LG Display, BOE and JOLED are next in queue respectively, as announced by UBI research.
A3 line to IT
As per the information coming, it is expected that Samsung Display will convert a few of its A3 lines to IT by the first half of 2024. Also, in 2024, a new 8.5G OLED line for IT is expected to start operating. And hence, the substrate area of Samsung Display’s IT OLED line production capacity is expected to increase from 1.38 million m² in 2022 to 2.69 million m² in 2025.
Also as per the source, it is predicted that, in the process of Samsung Display converting part of its A3 line to IT in 2024, the production capacity of the line is expected to decrease. Whereas the substrate area of Samsung Display’s foldable OLED line production capacity is expected to increase from 790,000 m² this year to 1.52 million m² next year.
LG Display and BOE follow the trendsetter
IT is also noticed that LG Display will start operating the E6-4 line for IT in the second half of the next year. In the same year, BOE also plans to start the operation of its B12-3 line. So in this way, next year, the two-panel maker’s OLED line production capacity for IT will have a substrate area of 750,000 m² and 520,000 m², respectively.
Some quick analysis
- This year, the substrate area of the flexible OLED line production capacity is 15.3 million m², which is 71.5% of the total.
- The substrate area of this year’s rigid OLED line production capacity is 5.29 million m², which is 24.8% of the total.
- This year, the total OLED line production capacity, including IT, mobile, and TV, is expected to grow by 47.3 million m².
- The large OLED line for TV production capacity and substrate area is not expected to change until 2026 without any additional investment.
- This year, LG Display’s large OLED line production capacity substrate area is 85.5% of the total or 2.30 million m².
- Samsung Display’s large OLED line production capacity is expected to account for 13.9% and 0.6% of the substrate area of 3.3 million m² and BOE of 130,000 m², respectively.