Smartphone Chips: Samsung surpasses TSMC

Samsung leads in the smartphone chip market and it has beaten TSMC to grab this opportunity. The information is directly cleared by Counterpoint Research, in Q1 2022 Samsung conquered about 60% of the market share of 5nm chips and with even more advanced production processes (think of Exynos 2200 and Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 at 4nm). The remaining 40% goes to rival TSMC.

Samsung achieved this huge mark by delivering 74 million smartphones in the first three months of 2022 which is really impressive. The Exynos 2200 and Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chips equip models in the Galaxy S22 range, but also mid-range products – such as the 5nm Exynos 1280 (integrated into mid-range models such as the Galaxy A53 and Galaxy A33 ) – have contributed.

Quick Single: Snapdragon vs Exynos: Which one is better for you?

TSMC in fact started mass production of the 4nm Dimensity 9000 chip from Mediatek during the first quarter and a plus variant was recently announced. Samsung on the other hand has acknowledged that its 4nm production process has room for improvement and has started a reorganization of its research team after Qualcomm turned to TSMC to produce the Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1. According to CounterPoint estimates, TSCM could catch up with orders from Qualcomm for 4nm chips.

Meanwhile, you can check the history of Samsung Exynos processors here.

Samsung surpasses TSMC Q1 2022

Related Posts

Leave a Comment