During the Snapdragon Summit 2022, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. announced its latest premium mobile platform, Snapdragon 8 Gen 2. The Performance of the chip has been improved as compared to the Gen 1.
According to the official information, the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 chip has a number SM8550-AB and is fabbed on a 4nm node.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 chip Key Highlights
- Qualcomm has promised to offer speed-ups. The new Kryo CPU trio delivers up to 35% higher performance with up to 40% higher efficiency.
- The single Kryo Prime core (based on Cortex-X3) runs at 3.2GHz (3.1872GHz to be exact) to deliver high single-threaded performance and cores run at 2.8GHz.
- Gen 2 RAM is said to work with LP-DDR5X at up to 4,200MHz (up from LP-DDR5 at 3,200MHz) and as per the storage info, it can use the new UFS 4.0 format (up from UFS 3.1).
- The latest Adreno GPU promises up to 25% higher performance with up to 45% higher power efficiency.
- The Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 will provide QHD+ resolution at up to 144Hz or 4K and it will also supports external displays up to 4K at 60Hz (with 10-bit Rec. 2020 color gamut, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision to boot).
- Enabled AV1 video decoding – streams up to 8K at 60fps (with HDR) are supported.
- The Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 is also tuned to support new image sensors. The Samsung ISOCELL HP3, the first 200-megapixel image sensor optimized for Snapdragon 8 Gen 2.
- It can use up to three 36MP cameras (30fps) simultaneously. 108MP sensors are supported with zero shutter lag.
- For video, the chipset can record 8K HDR footage at 30fps (and capture 64MP photos simultaneously), 4K at 120fps and do slow-motion videos too (720p at 960fps).
- HDR format support includes – HDR10+, HLG and Dolby Vision.
- Downlink speeds – 10Gbps, Uplink – 3.5Gbps.
- It supports Dual-SIM, Dual-Active (DSDA) operation where two 5G SIMs (or 5G+4G) are active at the same time.
- Bluetooth 5.3 connectivity
- Music – 48kHz
- 48ms latency for gaming
- It gets a new Qualcomm Hexagon Processor which allows faster natural language processing with multi-language translation and advanced AI camera features.
- The Hexagon processor features upgrades to the architecture, including micro tile inferencing and a bigger tensor accelerator for up to 4.35 times increased AI performance.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 Coming On These Android Makers By The End Of This Year
- Asus ROG
- Red Magic
Unfortunately, Samsung’s name is not there. So we hope in the 2023 list we will see the Galaxy S23 series information.
“We are passionate about enabling people to do more, so we design Snapdragon with the user at the center. Snapdragon 8 Gen 2, will revolutionize the landscape of flagship smartphones in 2023,” said Chris Patrick, senior vice president and general manager of mobile handsets, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. “Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 delivers groundbreaking AI, unparalleled connectivity, and champion-level gameplay, enabling consumers to enhance every experience on their most trusted device.”